Wednesday, June 3, 2009

God grant me the Serenity...


"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference."
A friend on Facebook posted this and I stopped everything to read it 3 times out loud. You see, I have seen the things that I can change and am acting upon them. In the midst of this change, I am standing firm as there is strife all around me.

I want to dissect the above quote. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...in the realms of humanness, we can not change anyone but ourselves. Therefore the passage is asking us to accept people as they are, as we are all divine children of God. It does not imply that we have to agree, just accept. Accept them for who they are and honor their journey on Earth.

Now if their journey negatively affects your journey, then you must have the courage to change what you can. Simply put, let go of those things that no longer serve your highest good. You are in control of one being on this planet and that person is YOU. To have courage to change the things you can often implies making decisions that are in your highest good without harming or hurting others. This can cause chaos around you as other's egos will "try" to take a stand to sway you back into complacence.

And the wisdom to know the difference...this is the true gift. Wisdom to know what you must accept, move on and what you can change for your highest good. It has seriously taken me most of my adult life to realize that you can not change another human being. No matter how dire their situation is or how much better they would be, mentally, physically and emotionally if they would change their ways.

The majority of our society thinks that if you put yourself first and satisfy your wants and needs, that you are selfish and self-centered. What a myth and sad sack of deception that has led many of us to place other's wants and needs before our own. We were not living up to our highest potential and actually had blocked any energy of receiving from ourselves.

This is a time of great change my brothers and sisters. What are your desires for a better you and how are you going to change?

No comments: